Design, fabrication of prototypes, and characterization of highly efficient broadband solar cells and IR and THz detectors based on advanced nanomaterials such as micro-patterned heterostructures and quantum-well and quantum-dot structures.
Intellectual Property (IP):
- Company applied for two US patents
- V. Mitin, A. Sergeev, and G. Strasser, “Vertically correlated clusters of charged quantum dots for optoelectronic devices, and methods of making same” filed as U.S. Provisional Application on March 29, 2011, No. 61-468689 and as a regular patent filed on 3/27/2012, PCT/US 13/430,855,
- K. A. Sablon, V. Mitin, A. Sergeev, N. Vagidov, J. W. Little, and K. Reinhardt, “Photovoltaic cells with quantum dots with built-in charge and methods of making same,” US patent, No.PCT/US12/021847, 1/19/2012,
and for one provisional patent,
- K. A. Sablon, V. Mitin, A. Sergeev, N. Vagidov, J. W. Little, and K. Reinhardt, “Quantum dot with built-in charge structures with reduced wetting layer for efficient photovoltaic conversion and IR sensing,” Provisional patent R-6665 (2011), which cover critical technologies.
- Company has deep expertise in nanoscience and nanotechnologies: dozens publications in leading nanotech journals, such as Nature Nanotechnology, Nano Letters, Phys. Rev. Letters, Nanoscale Research Letters:
- V. Mitin, A. Antipov, A. Sergeev, N. Vagidov, D. Eason, and G. Strasser, “Quantum dot infrared photodetectors: Photoresponse enhancement due to potential barriers,” Nanoscale Research Letters, 6, 21 (2011).
- K. A. Sablon, J. W. Little, V. Mitin, A. Sergeev, N. Vagidov, and K. Reinhardt, “Strong enhancement of solar cell efficiency due to quantum dots with built-in charge,” Nano Letters 11, 2311 (2011).
- K. A. Sablon, A. Sergeev, N. Vagidov, A. Antipov, J. Little, and V. Mitin, “Effective harvesting, detection, and conversion of IR radiation due to quantum dots with built-in charge,” Nanoscale Res. Lett. 6, 584 (2011).
- A. Sergeev, L-H. Chien, N. Vagidov, and V. Mitin, “Quantum-dot infrared photodetectors: In search of right design for room-temperature operation,” in Future Trends in Microelectronics: From Nanophotonics to Sensors to Energy, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2010, p. 385;
- K. A. Sablon, J. W. Little, A. Sergeev, N. Vagidov, and V. Mitin, Solar cell with built-in charge: Experimental studies of diode model parameters, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A, Vol. 30 (Special Issue on Photovoltaics), 04D104 (2012).
- K. A. Sablon, V. Mitin, J. W. Little, A. Sergeev and N. Vagidov, “Quantum dots with built-in charge for enhancing quantum dot solar cells and infrared photodetectors,” Chapter 13 in Quantum Dot Devices, Lecture Notes in Nanoscale Science and Technology, Vol. 13, ed. Zhiming Wang, Springer, 2012.
- NSF-funded basic research directly related to nanoscale kinetics.
- Scientific approbation: the Q-BIC solar cell concept has been presented at several national and international conferences.
- “Quantum-Dot Nanostructures for Effective Harvesting, Detection, and Conversion of IR Radiation”, N. Vagidov, A. Sergeev, A. Antipov, K. Sablon, J. Little, and V. Mitin, APS March meeting, February 27 – March 2, 2012, Boston, Massachusetts, book of abstracts A33.11.
- “High Performance Solar Cells and Photodetectors on Quantum Dot Structures with Built-in-Charge”, invited talk at the BIT's 1st Annual World Congress of Nano-S & T, October 23-26, 2011, Dalian, China.
- "Nanostructured Solar Cells: From Academic Research to Commercial Devices", V. Mitin, A. Sergeev, N. Vagidov, K. A. Sablon, J. W. Little, and K. Reinhardt, Advanced Energy 2011: New York State Premier Conference for Advanced Energy, October 12-13, 2011 Buffalo, NY, program.
- “Solar Cells and Photodetectors: High Performance Provided by Built-in-Dot Charge”, V. Mitin, K. A. Sablon, J. W. Little, A. Sergeev, N. Vagidov, and K. Reinhardt, Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Electron Dynamics in Semiconductors, Optoelectronics and Nanostructures (EDISON 17), August 7-12, 2011, Santa Barbara, California, USA, pp. 50-51.
- “Quantum Dot IR Photodetectors and Solar Cells Enhanced by Built-in-Charge”, V. Mitin, A. Sergeev, N. Vagidov, K. A. Sablon, and J. W. Little, Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Narrow Gap Systems (NGS15), August 1-5, Blacksburg, Virginia, USA, and AIP Conf. Proc. 1416, 52-55, 2011.
- “Quantum Dot Solar Cells: Effective Conversion of IR Radiation Due to Inter-Dot n-Doping,” K. A. Sablon, J. W. Little, V. Mitin, A. Sergeev, N. Vagidov, and K. Reinhardt, Proceedings of the 37th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, June 19-24, 2011, Seattle, WA, Abstract #751, pp. 1-4.
- “Advanced Quantum Dot Structures with Manageable Photoelectron Kinetics” V. Mitin, A. Sergeev, N. Vagidov, S. Oktyabrsky, and M. Yakimov, invited talk at the 2011 Villa Conference on Interaction among Nanostructures (VCIAN), April 21-25, 2011, Las Vegas, NV.
- Strong interest from the engineering community: the preliminary results have been highlighted by a number of websites.